Winning a game, is it luck or skill?

In a lot of videos on YouTube I hear people say how lucky the other person was to get a shot on them or to be able to kill them. As if being able to kill this person in the game requires luck, but is it truly just luck or do some people also have skill? I know that this is a senstive topic because people who believe that they have skill will often take offense in being told that they're just lucky and people that are lucky sometimes believe that they're skilled. As if it's a bad thing to be lucky, I mean I would love to be lucky in all my games and I'd take luck over skill any day! I guess some people are just afraid that luck doesn't get them any respect. Not that this really matters because who cares what Is7ePtwitHurm0m thinks of you! Yes this is a random gamertag I just came up with.

It's a bad thing to be lucky?

If you have to believe some people then yes, but I don't think that's true. Do you honestly think that professional gamers are all skill and no luck? Honestly everyone gets lucky at one point, ok some people are incredibly unlucky and I will admit that I have moments like that as well. In Fortnite Battle Royale I had five matches in a row where I got super unlucky. The house I entered, I kept entering different houses with each match, had no weapons and there would always be someone dropping near me that did get a weapon. Is that unlucky? Yes! But I've also had matches where the first house I'd entered would have so many weapons, sometimes even epic (purple) or legendary (orange) weapons, and shields. This increases your chances to win a lot and it probably wouldn't surprise you that I actually won some of those matches with such good starting houses. That's not skill, that's pure luck and it's not going to guarantee the win but it certainly improves your chances! I just don't understand the hate some people have for getting lucky or others getting lucky, yeah it sucks if someone gets a magical headshot on you and it's easy to scream cheater but sometimes people get lucky and it honestly sucks but I've had matches where I got that magical headshot and that was luck because my aim is terrible in certain games so I would never say that I'm that good to pull that off just like that.

Nobody is all skill?

I don't think so. Like I said before I think we all get lucky at certain points and some people are just a bit luckier than others. But at the same time you can also force luck, by making certain moves which does involve skill. Knowing maps, where to find certain items and weapons plus knowing the most effective weapons to use at the right time is of course going to help you a lot. That's not luck, that's knowledge and that is often not as appreciated as it should because knowing a map can already give you an advantage on new players. Knowledge falls under experience and experience is often connected to skill. Sure some people can pick up a game and be great at it from the start but I think most people need some experience with the game first before they get better at it. It's easy to claim to be all skill, to be amazing at a game and just keep on bragging. But honestly if you truly believe that then you're lying to yourself. Are you honestly saying that you never got lucky in a match? That something should've killed you but it didn't and you were able to turn things around? I guess it also has something to do with modesty, even if someone would truly be all skil, which I doubt is true, then modesty would at least keep you humble and not claim something as being all skill. But I guess some people aren't familiar with the word modesty. Some people make YouTube videos that scream attention whore or try hard. When people put in the thumbnail what their k/d is, their win/loss ratio or with how many points they won. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments but calm the fuck down! This might surprise some of these people but not everyone spends every second of every day in the same game and does the same shit over and over again. So in a way people that claim to be all skill are actually people with no life outside that game and arrogant douchebags? Sure, why not? I doubt that's true but for the sake of making a point I'll allow it.

Does it really matter?

No it really doesn't matter. Who gives a shit if you won with luck or with skill, a win is a win and if you're happy with it then who cares what someone else thinks. Hm I'm starting to sound like a camper that will bring up the legitimate strategy bullshit but as long as it's not against the rules then it's unfortunately true. I think that people should focus less on how others see them and more on having fun playing a game, isn't that the main reason why you started playing games? There is nothing wrong with a bit of showing off but you do realize how obnoxious that sounds and looks when you keep bringing that up or constantly have that pasted on everything you do and make. There aren't many games I would consider myself skilled at, I'm not looking for a challenge and I would choose fun over frustration any day. So what if you're lucky and you're not that skilled, are you really that bothered with what some salty douchebag says to you when he or she is beaten in a game? Just block and ignore, that's all you have to do and move on. It's nice that you have skill but skill isn't everything, it's not a guarantee that you're a professional or that others should give you respect. If that's what you're looking for then you honestly need to find another hobby. Maybe try a stamp collection and perhaps your fellow collectors will respect you for getting some rare stamps. No guarantees though...

Reacties