Looking back at 2013

I have to admit that I first thought that 2013 would be a bad year for me, I mean just the 13 alone scared the shit out of me! But I guess this year wasn´t so bad so far, it´s not over yet! Unfortunately a lot of bad things happened in the world, as much as you want a year full of happiness and peace somehow you´ll never get it. But that doesn´t mean that we have to give up for 2014, life goes on and so must you. Just because you don´t have a white X-mas it doesn´t mean that you should stop believing in X-mas miracles, I think it´s the same with hoping for a better world. It might never come and yet you can always hope for the best. I might be a pessimist, but I don´t want to give up on hope.

Was 2013 a good year for games? I think it was, especially when I compare it to the first half of 2012 because that was absolutely terrible in my opinion. I think I bought so many bad games in the first half of 2012 that I was actually thinking that 2013 would be the same for me. But 2013 turned out pretty good, I bought some nice games and had a lot of fun playing them. Of course not every game turned out to be as good as I hoped it would be but when I look at the large picture then I can´t mention one game that was terrible.

So everything was good about 2013? No I can´t say that, I´ve played some games that turned out a bit less fun than I hoped. I think the biggest disappointment for me is GTA Online, I had high expectations with that and yet somehow I had a feeling that it might turn out into what it is now. You see I haven´t forgotten about Max Payne 3 multiplayer, I know what type of people are interested in that and usually they don´t play well with others. But also all the issues you had in that game, it really made me worry about GTA Online because I had a feeling that things would still be bad. Unfortunately I was right, the online experience might be fun if you play with friends or just do some crazy shit. But when you play solo just to level up then you´ll be annoyed at all the bullshit you have to deal with. Just getting online is a problem, losing levels because the saving system is fucked up and let´s not forget about all the assholes you have to deal with when you´re in a public session. I was done with GTA Online in two weeks when I had to reach level 50 for the third time because the fucking game didn´t save the first two times and then failed to save a third time. Yes that´s what you can call a bad experience!

But it wasn´t all bad? Absolutely not! I had a lot of fun with games like Tombraider, Fuse, GTA V (single player), Assassin´s Creed IV, Saints Row IV, CoD Ghosts and the Wolf among us. All games I love to play and eventhough some turned out a bit different then I first thought I´m still happy that I bought them. I think the best games are the games that you keep playing and not throw into a corner once you´ve finished them. I think Skyrim is a good example of that, it´s a game you can keep playing and I´m not even talking about using mods. I have to admit that I missed a game like that in 2013, because most games I played I didn´t keep playing. Sure I´ll play a multiplayer game when I feel like it but I didn´t play a lot of single player games again from the start. I think the only ones that I did play from the start again was purely for collectibles, which meant that I would rush through them and not pay any attention to the story. At least not on my second playthrough.

What´s the best gaming moment of 2013? For me personally I´ve had several moments that I was very amazed, something I would consider as quite rare for my doing. As simple as a quick shot at very close range with a sniper rifle up to beating games on very hard mode. I´ve had moments where I laughed at silly jokes in Fuse, had emotional moments with Riley in CoD Ghosts and feelings of anger in the Wolf among us. Games can influence you a lot and some games can be very good with that. Of course these emotions never left my house, I don´t carry the sadness or anger with me to other people. Still it´s nice to have games that can be so powerful that they leave a strong impression on you. I really hope that 2014 will bring us more of these games and hopefully also some new experiences, perhaps even a game that you´ll keep playing for years. It was also the year of the new consoles which meant more console wars bullshit. As some of you know I´m not a fan of that, I actually hate it. I don´t care if someone plays on a Playstation 4 or Xbox One, it doesn´t really matter to me. As long as you have fun then that´s all that matters, maybe that´s a good thought of leaving 2013 and moving on to 2014. It doesn´t matter what game or on what console you play, as long as you have fun with it!

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Watch Dogs 2, the sequel no one wanted?

Movie Monday: Watchmen

Can a movie make a game more interesting?