Sinful Sunday: Respect for women?

So today is international women´s day, in case you don´t know, but what does that mean? Well I could give you a speech over the struggle of women for equal rights but I prefer to talk about women and games, because to be honest I´m not really an expert when it comes to the history of women through the ages. Female gamers aka gamer girls (I know some people hate that term but you know at least what I mean) aren´t a myth, they´re real and they like to play games just as much as guys but somehow they face more bullshit than guys. So what´s up with that? Well let´s take a closer look at the female experience of gaming.


The curse of the female gamer.


Ok maybe that sounds a bit dramatic but at least I got your attention, because a lot of people don´t realize how annoying it can be for women to play games. I guess in single player games it´s not that much of a problem, eventhough some people might give them shit because they play games, but in online multiplayer things can sometimes get unpleasant for female gamers. I´m not saying it´s all bad but there is a good chance that you encounter immature assholes that will give you shit over nothing, this usually gets worse if a female gamer beats a guy. Instead of just accepting that he lost it´s probably more fun to annoy that person, of course this isn´t restricted to just women but I get the feeling that women get this more often than guys. Because of unpleasant encounters a lot of women don´t like to play online multiplayer, unless they´re playing with friends, or they play without a mic and mute the others. I´m glad that there are also women out there that fight back or in some cases just ignore unpleasant behaviour from other players, perhaps that´s the best thing you can do.


Female gamers are equal to male gamers!


Do I even have to say this? I guess it´s quite obvious but some people don´t understand that gamers are just people that want to have fun playing a game, when you play a game you don´t want to deal with annoying people and don´t want to deal with frustration. A lot of people play games to escape real life and all the bullshit that comes with that, so why bring it into games? In a way I don´t even have to say female and male gamers, we´re all gamers and gender isn´t important! I don´t care if I have male or female team mates, I just want to have fun playing a game and I hope others also play games for that reason. Is it more fun to play with women than it is with men? It´s possible but I don´t think it really matters, I mean if you have fun playing games with people then I don´t think gender is really that important. I don´t think women want to be in the spotlight when they enter a game, I think they want to have fun just like the rest of us.


Respect.


I´m actually impressed that women manage themselves in a world full of idiots, I guess that shows how strong they can be and there is absolutely no shame in being beaten by a woman. Oh I wouldn´t parade down the street screaming how happy I am to be beaten by a woman in a game, but why make a big deal out of it? Slowly I´m starting to see the rise of female gamers and that´s good, there´s no shame in playing games and there´s definitely no shame in being good at it as well! But I would like to clear one thing up, I´m not saying to praise and worship women but treat them as your equal and show them respect as you would like to be treated with respect as well. We´re all gamers and we all just want to have fun playing games, so let´s just have fun playing games!

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Watch Dogs 2, the sequel no one wanted?

Movie Monday: Watchmen

Can a movie make a game more interesting?